Nursing at Home
Yes it is indeed possible to be cared for in your own home, just like it is done in a hospital or nursing home. Let us face the bare fact: our aged parents or relatives need constant care and attention as their faculties are not as sharp as before. If your loved one has undergone a major surgery, he will also need someone to keep a watch over him and administer the medicines on time.
You can engage caregivers from home care services on a full time or part time basis. Their duties will include:
- Acting as a support for the patient so that he can be more comfortable. The caregiver has to form a bond of friendship.
- He has to accompany the patient on errands or on doctor’s appointments. This is more applicable in the case of patients with Alzheimer’s disease as their extreme forgetfulness might lead to a great deal of harm.
- He has to ensure that the patient takes his medicines on time. Elderly patients usually stick to a fixed diet and it is upto to the caregiver to make certain that the patient remains well-fed and healthy.
- Feeding assistance will also be provided if required.
- He has to go with the patient to attend local events or family get togethers.
- He to oversee the overall physical appearance too. Applying make-up or combing the hair should be done on a regular basis.
The reason why so many people are opting for elder care services is because in most families these days, both people are working. As a result it is difficult to keep an eye on the patient during their absence. This is where a home care center can help you out by assuming charge of the patient while you are not in the house. If the person is staying alone in another city, then you can approach the center for full-time help.